Both as a company and as individuals, we (Board&Dice and its employees) are always looking for ways to continue to grow in our commitment towards diversity and inclusion, to foster an inviting hobby, to promote cultural respect, and to continue our own path toward better understanding, especially as these topics relate to board games we publish.
Board&Dice are proud to announce the establishment of an ally program for creative individuals, primarily aimed at inviting, welcoming, and supporting BIPOC and LGBTQ+ artists, designers, and other imaginative and inspired souls, with an emphasis on the board game hobby and industry. However, although we extend a special invitation to BIPOC and LGBTQ+ individuals, anyone is welcome who shares our goals of increased diversity and inclusion.
The purpose of the ally program is multifold:
- To commit ourselves — our knowledge and experience as well as our time and money — in support for artists and designers aspiring to establish themselves in the board game industry. We do not imply that anyone is in need of help or assistance, nor do we imply that we have all the answers. But we are offering to share the knowledge and experience we have, to lend a hand in any way we can, inasmuch as that assistance is wanted.
- We want more voices to be heard, more diversity in all areas and aspects of this wonderful board game industry. We also want to listen and learn, to grow and improve. We are committed to continue on this journey.
- To provide a safe space for marginalized individuals and groups to discuss topics related to the board game industry, to have their voices heard, without fear of being ignored or rejected. We promise to listen and to improve. And, we commit ourselves to continue using our voice in public support of you.
This hobby and industry needs more diversity and more inclusion. We need more BIPOC and LGBTQ+ individuals in this industry! We want more … and we want you!
Our commitment to you
Every 2 months, we will provide an honest and detailed presentation on an exciting topic related to board game design, production, or other aspects of the industry. Some of the topics include:
- How to create a board game prototype.
- How to pitch a game to a publisher.
- Do you want to self-publish? What to expect and pitfalls to avoid.
- How to find and work with illustrators.
- How to work with cultural consultants.
- Running a crowdfunding campaign.
- Working with reviewers and content creators.
- What does the manufacturing process look like?
… and more!
We will invite all participants to a dedicated space on our Discord server where the above topics and other related topics can be discussed in a controlled and safe environment.
We will continue to work with diversity and inclusion consultants (Mik and Starla of Our Family Plays Games) for our own continued education and for the improvement of our place in the industry and the games we publish. Board&Dice is a sponsor of OFPG Voices.
We will continue to work with cultural consultants for relevant games we publish, to ensure cultural respect.
We also commit time and resources towards expanding our website in whatever way is necessary in support of this effort, and we invite other publishers to support this undertaking.