Code of Conduct
What is the purpose of this?
At Board&Dice, we believe that real and positive change and inclusivity starts with just being nice to one another. We want to ensure that our booth and places where we gather are safe spaces where every person can feel welcomed and simply have a good time.
With this in mind, we provide this Code of Conduct, a document aimed at communicating a set of guidelines and expectations when it comes to social interactions at various events — whether in person or online — where Board&Dice is present.
We use the word “guidelines” consciously. We do not intend to impose a set of strict rules, as human behavior has too many different types and shades to try to cover them all.
When in doubt, consult these guidelines. If still in doubt, choose the more polite path.
Who does it apply to?
The answer is simple: this Code of Conduct applies to anyone in the capacity of representing Board&Dice or as one of its guests. Whether an employee, a contracted worker, a booth volunteer, a designer signing copies, or a visitor — we should all abide by this Code of Conduct. We are all subject to the same standard and held accountable if we cross the line.
What are the rules?
- Take care of yourself and of others. Your well-being is no less important than that of other people.
- Practice good daily personal hygiene.
- Everyone is expected to be sober.
- If you are feeling sick or unwell, your absence is recommended.
- We kindly ask you to pay attention to your surroundings and to aid in keeping our booth clean and tidy.
- Minors must be accompanied by an adult or legal guardian.
- Board&Dice has a strict no-harassment policy.
More details please!
Harassment includes, but is not limited to:
- Direct or indirect expressions or communication which reinforces social structures of domination related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, culture, age, or religion.
- Sexual images in public spaces.
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following.
- Harassing photography or recording.
- Sustained disruption during demos or events.
- Inappropriate physical contact.
- Unwelcome sexual attention.
Harassment may take the form of comments, epithets, slurs, jokes, teasing, display or discussion of written or graphic material, repeatedly standing too close to or brushing up against a person, or giving gifts of an unwanted or sexual nature. Advocating or encouraging any of the above is also considered harassment.
Board&Dice values personal safety over personal comfort. We actively do not believe in maintaining the social status quo with regards to marginalized people. We reserve the right to not act on retaliatory complaints or attempts to weaponize this Code of Conduct or other community processes. We disregard:
- complaints regarding “reverse”-isms, including “reverse racism,” “reverse sexism,” and “cisphobia.”
- complaints against the reasonable communication of boundaries, such as “leave me alone,” “go away,” or “I’m not discussing this with you.”
- complaints of someone communicating in a “tone” you do not find congenial.
- complaints against expressions of criticism of racist, sexist, or otherwise oppressive behavior or assumptions.
Board&Dice team members are, additionally, reminded of the following:
- Do not sacrifice your own needs. Get enough water, food, and rest. Remember to take a break from time to time.
- Wash your hands after using the restroom.
- You represent Board&Dice for the whole duration of any event in which you participate, not only while present at the booth. Make us proud.
What are the procedures?
If anyone makes you feel unsafe or mistreated, as soon as you feel comfortable, please report the incident to an appointed Board&Dice representative.
If the event takes place in person in the United States, appointed Board&Dice representatives are:
- Rainer Åhlfors
- McKenna Aikens
If the event takes place in person in Europe, appointed Board&Dice representatives are:
- Andrei Novac
- Agnieszka Kopera
If the event takes place online, appointed Board&Dice representatives are:
- Rainer Åhlfors
- Aleksandra Menio
We do not tolerate harassment in any form and will hold any person accountable for their wrongdoings. Each case will be treated individually, with consequences proportional to the act in question.
Possible consequences for not following this Code of Conduct may be, but are not limited to:
- issuing a warning, either verbal or written (if the harasser is an employee or a volunteer of Board&Dice).
- asking the harasser to leave our booth (whether physical or virtual) immediately.
- immediate termination of cooperation with an offender.
- informing the event organizers about the incident.
- informing police or applicable law enforcement about the incident.
- banning offenders from our booth; bans and removals may be on a temporary basis, for the duration of a given event, or permanent.
This Code of Conduct subject to change without notice. It is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International license. If you find it helpful, do not hesitate to adapt it as your policy.